Innovative leaders like Firmenich have already been making measurable sustainability a part of their business objectives through product level, the people level, and the corporate level. As a leader in actionable sustainable procurement, they have shown that although sustainability is a marathon not a sprint, it still provides important drivers towards today’s business management objectives. Having clear KPIs, goals, and targets along the way are key to moving and motivating your team and trading partners towards the sustainability maturity that can drive innovation as well as value for your customers and stakeholders.
Here are some best practices for utilizing sustainable procurement goals for maximizing impact:
- Goals should be clear, concrete and quantitative (KPIs),
- Show the big picture: how sustainable procurement goals are part of bigger sustainability goals, and how defined results add up to impact,
- Break goals and KPIs down according to program initiatives or CSS guidelines: they could be People, Planet, Profit, with associated KPIs , or departmental initiatives,
- Require that suppliers provide a CSR assessment (EV score or equivalent) and identify acceptability standards , as an example suppliers embracing ISO 26000 guidelines,
- Publish progress internally and externally over periods of time and progress towards achievement of the goals,
- Make goals and progress publicly available on the company’s website.
About the AuthorFollow on Twitter Follow on Linkedin Visit Website More Content by EcoVadis